Restart at Blogging

DianeM, contributor

My name is DianeM and I am a Republican Political Consultant. I began by political career at the age of five handing out campaign buttons for Dwight D. Eisenhower. I absolutely love the art and science of politics and I have meet and work with incredibility wonderful brilliant people. Lee Atwater was the first real campaign consultant that I had the opportunity to work for. I learned about political campaigns from the master, some information so great I can honestly tell you I will never tell the really great secrets. In the last days of Atwater’s life I learned the importance of treating your opponent with respect. This was the most important lesson of all.

I am usually the senior strategist (probably because of my age and years in politics). Other areas of expertise are political ethics and policy/issues, I write lots of position papers. Study existing legislation, statutory interpretation and legislative intent. Teach others the legislative process. I generally work on governors races. I rarely work in South Dakota. However, I have always worked on Janklow's campaigns and worked on Mike Rounds primary campaign.

When PP invited me to consider contributing to his blog I was caught off guard and said yes. PP does an incredibly brilliant job and he truly puts his all in getting out important information especially about the candidates. PP suggested that I could contribute technical information. After my first attempt ever at blogging I think that I would be far more productive talking about what I know best. I take great pride being involved in intelligent ethical campaigns, so don’t get frustrated with me. I am here to tell you it actually works. I employ lots of mathematical logic and lots of other stuff in my strategic planning. A very wise man once told me – The only thing anyone will ever ask is how many campaigns have you won. I can tell you the only campaign I ever lost was my own.

Some technical stuff:
My suggestions to start with is to educate yourself, this is a starting point. For candidates and anyone who is interested, these books are sure to inspire you to do great things. I feel that the recommendations I have made is very basic information and would be beneficial to anyone wanting a better understanding of our government and how it works.

#1: Technical advice for candidates -- email me and I will sent you the little book that the candidate who knows about it doesn’t want you to know about it.

#2: Every Republican should own a copy of The Conservative Mind from Burke to Eliot, Edited by Russell Kirk ISBN 0895261715.

#3: One of PP’s first entries on his blog he mentioned that I had told him to read Sun Tzu The Art of War, translated by Samuel B. Griffith. I think this is the best translation. I read this book at least six times a year. Great lesson on strategy.

#4: Nice summer reading –
The Common Law by Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr
download free --
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2449

The Federalist Papers by Alexander Hamilton and John Jay and James Madison
download free --
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/18

Alexis de Tocqueville Democracy in America — Volume 1 – download free --
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/815 Volume 2 – download free -- http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/816

The Ferocious Engine of Democracy, by Michael P. Riccards – Volume 1 – ISBN: 1568330413 Volume 2 – ISBN: 0815412576

To refresh the gray matter, I highly recommend reading Shakespeare or Walter Moers, of the 13 ½ lives of Captain Bluebear – ISBN: 073957896

Got any specific questions -- just ask.


“What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight – it’s the size of the fight in the dog.”
Dwight D. Eisenhower speech to the Republican National Convention, January 31, 1958

Comments

Anonymous said…
I would like to email you but I can't find your emai address.
DianeM said…
My email address is DMalavolti@msn.com
Anonymous said…
This is why this blog is so good.

Political folks talking the art of politics.

I'm on the other side, and I've been critical in the comments, but this blog is one of the first I head to, because of the nuts and bolts of politics.

Good work!
lexrex said…
dianem, "oliver wendell holmes?" is that for oppposition research?
DianeM said…
Not for opposition reasearch.

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. in my opinion, was one of the greatest justices on US Supreme Court. The other being Cheif Justice John Marshall.

The Common Law is great reading for anyone. There is much to be learned from his writings on legal philosophy.
lexrex said…
o.w. holmes, who divorced law from morality; an advocate of evolving, relativistic standards of law; who taught that values weren't absolute "but products of changing social conditions"; an usher of judicial activism.

holmes' legal philosophy was liberal ahead of its time.

you want to learn about the common law, read william blackstone's "commentaries on the laws of england." his book was read and cited by our country's founders just about as much as the Bible was.
DianeM said…
lexrex -

I have read all four volumes of William Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England. I have never known anyone in South Dakota who has read Blackstone.

Check this these out -- The Founder's Constitution edited by Kurland and Lerner. Also try to find the writings of Sir Edward Coke. Good stuff!
lexrex said…
good to hear you read the commentaries. i am steeped in blackstone, locke, coke, rutherford, etc. struggled through 2 years of grad school to understand them. still working on it, in fact.

holmes seems so far adrift from those writers, that's why i asked if you read him for oppo research.

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking News: After the television commercial salvo fired at them, Vote Yes For Life Fires back.

Heidepreim: Republicans are the party of hate

The Day in politics - October 24th