What about Bob?
More petition stuff - Part II

If you'll recall my post a few weeks back, I was responding to Eddie's request from the SDMM weblog about my position on the whole smoked pharmaceutical thing. And I noted I wasn't sure of their chances, but generally, I discussed what ballot initiatives need to consider if they want to win.

More recently, I posted on some of the commentary containted on the SDMM website about one of the assistant AG's; moreso than anything it was a convenient segueway into who our next AG might be. Eddie had noted that Bob Newland's words were his own. And Bob Newland took the opportunity to reply to my post and express some more disdain for prosecuting attorneys. I posted an innocuous reply, and Bob replied again. Fine. He can have the last word on that post.

Just to see if there were any related comments, I visited the SDMM website recently, and checked out a couple comments left for one of the latest posts. And, boy. Did I get an earful. I don't even want to put it on my weblog it's so bad. Click on the link, so I don't have to include it here.

My only words after reading Bob's diatribe and more importantly, possible admissions of activity that could be construed as contravening South Dakota law, were "oh my god."

In many elections, the messenger is a huge part of the message. If people aren't comfortable with who that messenger is, the candidate or measure you're promoting is going to suffer greatly for it.

In this case, the South Dakotans for Medical Marijuana are trying to promote legalizing the use of that particular drug for a theraputic measure for seriously ill people in face of opposition from the state health department, law enforcement, etc. Okay. Alleviating suffering. That's not the most difficult sell in the world. There are legislators sitting in the Capitol who might agree with you. Or at least one.

But I'd venture a guess that if it becomes common knowledge that Bob Newland, the main pitchman for the measure, is openly talking on the SDMM website about previous experiences of a recreational (and not theraputic) nature, and other activities he expounded on which were far worse - I'd say the ability of this measure to resonate with main street South Dakota is nil.

I would bet if you took an opinion poll of the average South Dakotan and tested the Medical Marijuana question on that basis, most would say the pitchman belongs in jail.

Your pitchman or candidate has to be able to connect to the voters and convince them to support your cause. If a candidate cannot emote, or if the pitchman is contrary to the cause, you might consider yourself in trouble from the start.

Not to pick on the Medical Marijuana people, because they aren't the only ones who do this. In fact, I've found Eddie to be a pretty decent person who has called myself on misquoting him when I was wrong. And I was.

I've been involved with other measures on various levels before where I tried to nicely say "get your main guy in the background because he's not going to do you any good."

It's not that they were a bad person. Clearly, they had to be a person committed to the cause to bring it up in the first place. But sometimes that commitment can be viewed by others as fanatacism, and it turns the average voter off. Or, that pitchman becomes so offensive the measure can't win. So it comes down to which is more important - the message or the pitchman. And to win, you have to choose.

It's not anything personal, it's just a cold, hard fact.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well said. Bob needs to turn it down a few notches. Eddie runs a good show over there. I'd hate to see Bob ruin it for him.
Bob Newland said…
Well, had I been caught doing what I was doing, I would have done some time.

It appears to me, however, that you entirely missed the point, or, at least, avoided it.

I was dealing to a bunch of people who were, and still are, putting people in jail for doing exactly what they themselves were doing.

I fully and freely admit that I broke the law numerous times. An argument can be made that I even committed moral wrongs in dealing drugs (altho I'll take the opposite side there). However, I have never advocated putting people in jail for trying to feel better.

Putting people in jail for trying to feel better morally wrong. And that sin is being committed daily by people we address as "your honor", or "the honorable" or "officer" or "senator".

I'll also note that I write under the same name by which everyone knows me. That obviously is not true of a large percentage of folks who post to this and other blogs.
Anonymous said…
Not to worry, PP. Not even all of us Democrats or Independents really believe in this guy, either -- who seems to sincerely believe that everyone but himself is missing the point. I hope Eddie and the rest of his crew can find another spokesperson, or at least get this one off the recreational abuse of that which he promotes.
Bob Newland said…
D. Gee, you don't know whether I smoke weed at present or not. And whether I do or not isn't relevant to the issue of denying sick, disabled and dying people the medicine they need.

What I am doing is the only way I know to prepare the way for a more "reasonable" voice to advocate for them.

Problem is, still, at this point, anyone who carries that advocacy strongly will be vilified as I have been. That makes holding such a position unappetizing to most folks.

Popular posts from this blog

A note from Benedict Ar... Sorry. A note from Stan Adelstein why he thinks you should vote Democrat this year.

Corson County information on Klaudt Rape Charges

It's about health, not potential promiscuity.