Encouragement from the other side.

Just got back from TAR camp, giving the kids a talk on campaigning and politics. I kept it light and fun. PUC Commissioner Dusty Johnson commented that this was the first time anyone had invoked "Napoleon Dynamite" in a speech at TAR camp.

I'm not sure if it was good or bad, but the kids seemed to get it. I gave the points I outlined in a prior post, and I also referred to other points (everything from Father Flanagan to Dirty Harry to Will Ferrell in Anchorman) including the slogan "Vote for Pedro." I noted how it was short, sweet and to the point. A good example for us political hacks who tend to over-analyze things.

And, I spoke right after lunch, so it needed to be fast paced - I didn't want to put them to sleep.

I really think Teenage Republican Camp is a good way to get young people inolved in a process that they seem to reject because it might be imposing. I've always thought the best way to change things is from within.

Anyway, I got back, and had this little gem in my e-mail box from Fred "S." of Huron waiting for me, just to brighten my day:
Bring along recruiters from all the armed forces to this get together and make operation yellow elephant mandatory reading - show them the real opposition they will face - and maybe help out the Armed Forces by finding a few fine young people for the Bush War fought by the All RECRUIT army

Highlight the example of Janklow voting FOR the rule that BANNED any additional funding to veteran healthcare, then voted against the veteran healthcare bill claiming there was NOT ENOUGH MONEY budgeted and how he sent a letter to every veteran he had on file claiming he was really standing up to support us while NEVER telling anyone that he ENSURED inadequate funding would be produced through his first VOTE FOR THE RULE - let them see just how " honorable " republican politicians work in the real world - when a lie is not a lie because you claim it is the truth -

The really frightening aspect in all this is that you actually try to indoctrinate at such a young impressionable age -

"Frank S." (The name has been truncated to preserve the anonimity of the cranky)
Jeez. No wonder the Teen Dems are non-existent. Indoctrinate? Damn. I forgot the electrodes and the sodium penathol at home.

So listen up, "Cranky Frank"; how about considering that we use the camp to encourage youngsters to participate in the political process. We don't require lifetime loyalty oaths. Heck, I even remember Linda Lea Viken stating that she used to be a Teenage Republican on one occasion.

If there's one thing I think is important, it's focusing on the interest of younger people in the process. I've actively sought out young candidates who are running for office in an effort to give new candidates the tools to be competitive in their races.

As a young(er) Republican, I ran for city commission once, and I had no one to help me. And I made EVERY SINGLE MISTAKE I counsel people not to make. And I got my butt deservedly kicked. It was an eye opener that taught me a lesson, and if anything, gave me a direction.

I'm trying to be there for the younger candidates to help them be competitive. If there wasn't someone there for me, it wasn't anybody's fault. But in the interest of giving something back to the process that I've done ok by, I feel an obligation to be there for the guys who come later.

So, in rebuttal to Frank S., I would simply ask - what did you do to encourage your future leaders today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A note from Benedict Ar... Sorry. A note from Stan Adelstein why he thinks you should vote Democrat this year.

Corson County information on Klaudt Rape Charges

It's about health, not potential promiscuity.