Am I blog-o-riffic?
Just some notes on traffic and input

I watch a few of these weblogs comment on who's reading them, and just to be a sheep and follow the pack, I'll do it too.

Actually, it's more of the fact I was reviewing my free statistical log, and I've been pleased with the amount of traffic I'm getting. I'm running 150 or so individual visitors a day - that's over 1000 a week!!

I enjoy to see and hear from the people who are reading because everyone has a story and an opinion. You never know - I might also hit you up for 10 questions.

So who's reading me? My wife claims it's the same ten fellow bloggers reading my weblog over and over. Sorry dear, aside from the time you were right (marrying me), you're wrong again.

Who's reading? Current legislators. Statewide elected officials. Past legislators (a hearty "GOP shout-out" to former House Majority Leader Bill Peterson who wrote me a nice note a few weeks back after my post on the meaning of color) and lots of others.

I'm getting traffic from people high up in state government (and I know who you are), a few big players in SD business, and people from all walks of life.

It all brings me back to a subject covered in my very first post. Back when the SD War College was a much darker place. That is, when my color scheme was black with white lettering. I didn't want to be a political weblog that just zinged people. I wanted to be a resource.
There are tons of good Republican candidates out there, but many of them lack someone to show them the way. Hopefully, this weblog can serve as a reference for campaign “newbies” and those with some experience to use as something to get them pointed in the right direction.
I might go on a bit, and my very pointed personal opinions might seep out from time to time, but that's what gives a weblog character. It's what gives it some bite.

My brother-in-law, JMac, who is an instructor at SDSU, is actually pretty far from me in political views. He's somewhere between the Tokala Resistance and Temenos. So, we don't agree politically very much.

But in one observation he had a few weeks back when I was in Brookings househunting, he noted to me that he generally found that many of his students were unwilling to challenge. Unwilling to debate or argue. He'd like his students to think and debate and to effectively be able to support their points. And that willingness to do so is even fading from academia.

I'll tell you right now, I don't know everything. I might think I do, but I don't. Challenge me. Give me input. e-mail me. Tell me what your opinions are. Several readers, such as Erin, the SDBWM, and Bob Newland among others, are certainly not the only people who read this.

My goal in all of this is to raise the bar on the quality of campaigns in South Dakota. I pick out 2-3 candidates a year and offer to help them because I think it's important.

Our democracy is participatory. What kind of democracy is it, if you get two people who run, and don't campaign because "everybody knows them." Well, aside from the two people running, no one finds out what the heck they stand for.

I want to know, and it makes for a better process. And it might help some of you all along the way.


UPDATE
I'm getting cable internet in Brookings on Monday! Light posting until Monday night, but after that, I'm bloggin' no matter where I am!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've started reading you, since for some reason I was behind in checking out the rest of the SoDakPolitiBlogOSphere, and I've just noticed that you've got me floating around in your RSS feed updates to the left.

I love being added on all of these political-type sites -- I feel like I've actually got something important to say.

Thanks, and consider yourself added to my list. Long Live PP!!

Popular posts from this blog

A note from Benedict Ar... Sorry. A note from Stan Adelstein why he thinks you should vote Democrat this year.

Corson County information on Klaudt Rape Charges

It's about health, not potential promiscuity.