The Weekly roundup - October 31, 2005

I’ve been ignoring this feature a little, but there’s lots of political happenings last week and this week to pay attention to:


Pierre Electrical Utility Takeover

The word I’m getting is that within the Co-op world, the impending effort of the Oahe Electrical Coop attempting to take over Pierre’s Electrical Utility is THE topic of discussion. Certainly it’s major statewide, and I hear the takeover is getting national buzz within the coop world, too.

SDWC thoughts? Yes, I keep talking about it. It’s not personal (or at least not too personal). This is probably the most understated & underreported news story around. Usually government takes over things from private enterprises. When was the last time you heard about the public doing a hostile takeover from government?


S.T.O.P. Now, pass Go.

The word is that there are petitions on their way to Pierre to be turned in this week. And the winner IS… As if you didn’t know by the title. Bill Napoli’s S.T.O.P. petition effort to roll back property assessments is on their way to cross the finish line. I hear they are coming to town yet this week to turn in their petitions.

But wait a minute. You must be saying to yourself, “Isn’t 11/7/2005 the deadline for all Initiated Constitutional Measures?” (You’re so smart.) It certainly is, per Secretary of State Chris Nelson (bottom of page), and I’m not hearing any information on the other two measures preparing to deliver petitions by then.

The other two Initiated Constitutional Measures out there at this moment are Gerry Lange’s Corporate Income Tax measure, of which I have no report of signatures, and the J.A.I.L. Judicial Accountability Act which had about 12,000 signatures out of the 33,456 needed according to their website about a month ago. They were collecting signatures via hired signature collectors, leaving the hired guns about 20,000 signatures short with a month to go.

SDWC thoughts? As of this week, STOP is in, JAIL is doubtful on making the deadline, and Gerry’s CIT can just forget it.


Ron Volesky, this is your candidacy

Ron Volesky announces this Friday that he’s entering the race for Governor. I’m sure Ron’s personally a nice guy. I’ve spoken with him myself on an occasion or two, and found him very personable. But anyone who says they’re going to institute corporate and personal income taxes on South Dakotans… Well, what do you say to a candidacy like that?

It plays well with the 20% of voters who are the die-hards who will support you regardless. But when it comes to the other 80%, it’s not such an easy sell. In fact, most would view it as a handicap.

SDWC thoughts? Ron is in for a long and hard campaign.


Hit me baby, 4500 more times

Yeah, ok. I’m a sucker for compliments. And what could be more complimentary than having over 4500 visitors for the SD War College in October (with over 9000 page views). The Bixler story gave me a massive 350+ individual visits alone last Tuesday. And we’re just getting started with the campaign season.

Further inflating my ego, I had a nice note from a good GOP activist in Sioux Falls today who noted the following:
I just want to let you know that I attended a Halloween party this weekend, and we all came to the agreement that you have the best blog right now. Sibby Online and SD Politics have taken a huge step back since last year, and you have become the leader in internet blogging. Thanks for all you do.
Dang. I don't know if I concur with the SDP and Sibby thoughts, but I'm pretty humbled to be thought of in the same sentence.

SDWC thoughts? Anyone in the SDBlogOSphere figure out how to make a buck off this yet?

If not, 4500 monthly hits and props from the readers are almost as cool as my son putting on his little Batman mask and saying in a gruff voice “I’m Batman.” Which he did this weekend, and I enjoyed the heck out of it.



What's coming in the next few weeks?

More ballot measure updates, a couple of candidacy announcements, and lots more political news.

Comments

Bob Newland said…
JAIL has plenty. Yu heard it first, here, but from me.
Anonymous said…
Considering where Sibby started from, how is it possible for him to take a step back?

Popular posts from this blog

A note from Benedict Ar... Sorry. A note from Stan Adelstein why he thinks you should vote Democrat this year.

Corson County information on Klaudt Rape Charges

It's about health, not potential promiscuity.