Mr. Candidate, Meet Mr. Blog.

I should try to come up with a basic manual for political candidates with regards to blogging.

The subject has been on my mind lately after my post early yesterday (late the night before). In that earlier post, I had referred to the article in Governing Magazine on political blogging. Our State Auditor had pointed it out to me, shortly before that and I found it interesting reading, especially the part on blogging by state legislators.

Can you imagine how Blogging from the SD Senate floor would be like?
Dear Weblog. It's the 20th legislative day, and Senator Kloucek has introduced yet ANOTHER Senate Commemeration. Today he's honoring the Tabor Salt Pork Festival. Yesterday it was the Menno Fashion Showcase.

And another Senator wants to designate the state dance. The Senate can't agree on the polka or the square dance. But, I can't do either one. Aaargh!
Yeah, that would be a good one. But I digress.

The point Rich was making to me was that he thought this next election we might see several candidates attempting a weblog in their campaigns this next year, since it's kind of the information tunnel du jour in the political world at this point in time. And I agreed. We might see the GovBlog, the AGBlog, the "Insert Candidate's Name _____(here) against Herseth Blog", the SDDP Blog, the SDGOP blog, and so on.

We discussed that you might see many people trying it, but only a couple that actually work, and become points of interest for the public and media. The rest will go by the wayside as this one did last year.

The thing is, it actually takes some sitting down to try to keep things fresh and informative. Not to mention interesting. Campaigns can involve a lot of tedium when you're on the road. A blog is going to be dropped quickly if all you are writing is "Went to the dinner in Faith yesterday. But I didn't eat, because I might have dropped food on my shirt, and it would have made me all phlegmmy before the speech."

I think campaign blogs could work if candidates understand what they want to accomplish with them, and what different types they can have. Of course, you would have to get the whole thing past a campaign's communications director who might be a luddite, who might be paranoid on what you are going to say, or who might demand explicit approval over what is written. Having to run something past five links in the chain of command is going to kill spontaneity and timliness.

Despite all those hurdles, I see the following types of blogs being useful for candidates;

#1 - The Dear Diary Blog - This is the weblog that comes directly from the candidate's perspective.

#2 - The Campaign Worker's blog - This weblog comes from the perspective of someone on the campaign.

#3 - A combination of #1 and #2 - This would be my favorite. Something with the input of the candidate, but also a staffer who can keep it current and fun. To me, fun is important to keep people excited and coming back.

#4 - The Outside Advocate blog - Yes, I know this is all up for debate at the moment, and has been since the last election. Not only on the local level, but within the FEC itself. Face it - it's here to stay.

#5 - The "Opponent Sucks" blog - This might be private or state party based. Again, we saw them this last election and it's here to stay. If and when rules are made, follow them. But until then, it's the wild west.

Anyway, those are the types of weblogs I see emerging at this point in time. As someone who obsesses about campaigns, this interests me intensely. I don't think it's going away, and in fact, given the experiences of the 2004 US Senate race, I think those who were reading the SD Blogs found themselves at the forefront of a revolution in campaign tech.

I suspect we're going to see some of these starting to pop up late this year, and I'll be curious to see those that survive past their infancy. I really think they can be useful tools and a neat window for the public into the back rooms of campaigns.

Or they'll all bomb, leaving us to dissect their demise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A note from Benedict Ar... Sorry. A note from Stan Adelstein why he thinks you should vote Democrat this year.

Corson County information on Klaudt Rape Charges

It's about health, not potential promiscuity.