You dropped a bomb on me, baby.
(with apologies to the Gap Band)

Electoral news courtesy of Roger Kasa at the Huron Daily Plainsman today.

Ron Volesky announced he’s going to make his formal entrance into the Gubernatorial race on November 4th at the Oakes Hotel in Sioux Falls. (This news is more like a party popper than a bomb.)

And then, during the State Fair Commission meeting in Huron on Tuesday (also from Roger Kasa):
With those two resignations (Cindy Frederick and Jeff Smith) approved, commission chairman Lance Carson of Mitchell dropped another bomb on the group.

He told the commission that he was planning to run for the state House of Representatives on the Republican Ticket from District 20.

He didn’t think he could serve on the commission and run for the state Legislature at the same time.

On that basis, he told the other commissioners he had mailed a letter to Rounds, Gabriel and Hayward before leaving Mitchell on Tuesday stating his desire to resign.
(technically, I think he could stay until he took office, but why quibble with someone taking the high road.)

Fall is in the air, and young candidates’ thoughts are turning to elections. In other words, it’s getting time for the roadies to start up the big show. Republicans are starting to recruit candidates for office, Democrats are wondering “who is going to be recruiting candidates for office?” (Their words not mine).

There hasn’t been much electoral news lately, and as such, I notice my readership has slowed. (130 a day down from 200) but now we’re starting to get into *MY* season – my bread and butter. The reason I get all giddy over this stuff. We’re getting into the season where people are starting to announce they are running for office – where people are making calls to politicos around the state and saying “it’s probably not going to happen, but what’s your opinion on me running..”

I’m going to start up an electoral spreadsheet like I do every year where I track announced candidates, and keep close tabs on that news. Except if I can figure out a good way to display it, I’ll make it an on-line thing and share. I’m also inspired to put together a manual of campaign advice culled from tips I’ve posted here, and other sources. That will likely be a little more private, but still a good exercise.

But otherwise, you can start to consider the SD War College THE South Dakota source blog for state and legislative candidate news. I don’t follow the national/federal scene much, but when it comes to state and legislative stuff, that’s MY beat.

Anyway, this is going to be a big weekend for me – while I’m trying to do all of this, I also have to get a political blogging presentation ready. I volunteered to give a talk on it for a local political group, and hopefully I can bring some new blood into the SDBlogOSphere.

Stay tuned.

Comments

PP said…
Damn! Props to Todd - that's an excellent idea!

Popular posts from this blog

A note from Benedict Ar... Sorry. A note from Stan Adelstein why he thinks you should vote Democrat this year.

Corson County information on Klaudt Rape Charges

It's about health, not potential promiscuity.