Up too late. But there's a good reason.

I went to bed about 11:30, but I'm back up because I couldn't just let it sit until the morning. I've got a new toy. Or at least a new template. I'm busy building the next incarnation of the South Dakota War College blog.

What don't I like about the current incarnation? It's bordering on cluttered because of all the stuff I'm trying to do. I also noticed a little drop in loading speed lately.

I need the links. I need the RSS feeds. Oh yeah, that place for the commentary is pretty important too. It's like my desk. Everything on it is important, I just need to organize the piles from time to time.

I'm looking for something just a little more stylish as well. CCK had a makeover a while back. So did PIADW. Now I'm looking to get away from using the same template held by the several thousand lighthouse enthusiast blogs.

Yes, it's a lighthouse. I'm the frickin' War College, and I have a lighthouse on my page. So, it's got to go.

As I progress on the test site, I might let a few of you in on it. But suffice it to say that no SD blogger will have anything similar. It's got a little animation, and it will be unmistakeably politically oriented. And no white text on black background as in incarnation #1.

I got the concept and some coding working at this point. Now, I think I can go to bed in peace.

Comments

Douglas said…
Nothing wrong with black on white. Nothing right about medium gray on dark gray or black or red or yellow, etc. Blogs that are so artsy the text has to be highlighted to be read are mostly a one-read forgetabout it blog.

Plain old black and white reasonable sized type is appreciated by us old guys with crappy vision. I guess if you want teenybopper readers, strike out in the direction of animated gifs and cute colors.

Anyway, good idea to more localize the site with something other than a lighthouse. I don't know how to speed up loading when RSS feeds like Feeddigest are used. I am getting complaints from people at my blog with the mutually contradictory requests..more feeds and faster loading. Haven't figured out that one yet.

Good Luck. Content is the key however. You aren't getting hits here because the masthead is or is not pretty and nothing moves cutely.
Anonymous said…
I'll apologize to douglas for my site.

Anyway, just came on to confirm that, yes, your site is taking too long to load. Grr.

Popular posts from this blog

A note from Benedict Ar... Sorry. A note from Stan Adelstein why he thinks you should vote Democrat this year.

Corson County information on Klaudt Rape Charges

It's about health, not potential promiscuity.