A day of disappointments

At approximately 10:37 this evening, I screwed up a silkscreen I was doing for a t-shirt my daughter wanted me to make. She wanted something similar to one that a character in Napoloen Dynamite wore, but with a Brookings Bobcat theme.

So I worked on the art over the course of the last week, coated the screen, let it dry and stored it in a cabinet for exposing the screen tonight, after I got all my eBay shipments prepared. (Yes, I do eBay too.) Apparently I either underexposed it, or washed it out too much.

Screwing up the screen was just the latest in a string of disappointments today. It was a minor annoyance, and had nothing to do with politics like the others I came across today.

When I got home tonight, I noticed that on the 2006 Candidate WIKI, that someone had posted the rumor that Larry Russell was going to run for Congress. It was disappointing because I had to clarify that as far as I know, the rumor is very likely unfounded. I've known Larry for several years - almost as long as I've known his older brother Lance, States Attorney for Fall River County.

And despite the fact that I'd like to see Larry run, as far as I know, the rumor is false.

Continuing backwards in the day, the disappointment I experienced at noon probably set the tone for the rest of the day. I was having lunch with CH, one of my closest friends, and he informed me that Comprehensive Media from here in Pierre was no longer in business.

If you aren't aware, Comprehensive Media handled the media campaign for the Governor from before the primary, on through the General election in 2002. They were also the creative force behind the "Sattgast Goose Commercial" - arguably one of the most creative and entertaining political ads shown in South Dakota in the past decade. I'd put it right up there with the ads with John Thune's daughters this last year.

I need to dig out my copy of it to post it on the website one of these days, because it was gold.

The genesis of the ad was that Rich needed a cheap way to get his name across and get it remembered in a largely ignored race. A real cheap way. So they and Rich came up with a parody of the "AFLAC" ads, goofing on Rich's last name.

At one point, Rich asked the guys at Comprehensive Media if they could slightly animate the head, making the mouth move when it spoke. The reply? "You can't afford that." So, what they did was take a goose decoy's head and quickly stuck it in the camera as it was "saying" Rich's last name. The result was memorable. And hilarious. The only ad that year that made me laugh out loud.

Most people don't remember any of the other political ads from 2002, but I'm told that people still know Rich as the guy with the goose head in the ad.

In the last two years, I had considered Comprehensive Media my go-to business when I needed a quote on a TV ad, despite the fact most lower level candidates usually can't swing it in their budget. I did have one candidate who could afford to do TV, and without hesitation I sent the work down there, and could have not been happier with the work.

As I type this, I'm sipping a beer and munching on a couple of pretzels. But I find myself a bit melancholy because I know I'm delaying my daughter's request for another week. And having to tell the readers that my friend who should be running for office is likely not to, set the stage for further disappointment.

And the realization that the best small video production company in the state will not be there anymore is the final sign that it's time to go to bed and hope tomorrow is a better day.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Keep up the great work, Pat. South Dakota would be blessed to have Larry Russell serve them someday in public service. Let's keep praying he will consider running for elected office again. Without a doubt, he is the most dangerous "outsider" candidate in the future!

Popular posts from this blog

A note from Benedict Ar... Sorry. A note from Stan Adelstein why he thinks you should vote Democrat this year.

Corson County information on Klaudt Rape Charges

It's about health, not potential promiscuity.