10 Questions with....... School and Public Lands Commissioner Bryce Healy

Okay, Republican readers. You're probably wondering why I'm interviewing Bryce for my weblog. Well, why not? #1, it's MY weblog. #2, He is the only Democrat that managed to come through on the state (versus federal) level in a year when Republicans took all the other seats.

To me, that makes him someone to study. Here's an electoral success, when the other candidates (Abbott, Wilson, Looby, Volesky, Butler... and the other ones) took it in the shorts at the ballot box. Besides. Interestingly enough, you don't hear a large outcry from Republicans to pry him out of his office.

When Dick Butler held the Treasurer's spot, us GOPers couldn't wait to be rid of him. I don't know why, but School and Lands seems to skirt on by.

I met Bryce several years back when his girlfriend at the time (now his wife) had him give me a ride home from the legion cabin.

Not that I was teetotaling, but I have a strict rule about 3 beers and I'm walking. It comes from my days as a university police officer (student reserve) at SDSU. I helped bring in too many 30-some year old men who would cry like little girls when they got a DUI. Not to mention they might have killed someone.

Bryce rescued me from about a 12-15 block walk in 90 degree or better heat. So I have to cut him a little slack.

So, with no futher ado, 10 questions with School and Lands Commissioner Bryce Healy:
1. Bryce, on my side of the aisle, we look to John Thune as our Republican knight, but it's the Governor who is king of the party. As the top elected state Democrat (versus federal), how is that arrangement different in the Democrat Organization?

First I would like to thank you for the 10 Questions. I have enjoyed and hope to continue enjoying your site. It is more prevelent to me than some of the others on both sides of the aisle. Enjoy Brookings, it is a great town and home of US Rep. Herseth.

I'm not the top elected state Democrat, I'm the only one. Clearly Senator Daschle was the party leader for the past many years. Now that role, in my view, is shared by Senator Johnson and Representative Herseth.

2. Is the Democratic Party looking to you as their main recruiter?

I certainly play a role in that area. However, as you well understand, candidates like myself, have our own campaigns to run.

3. Okay, so who are the up and comers on your side of the aisle? Are we going to see my friend Rich Engels back in the mix one of these days?

I believe you can look within the legislature and find some. The Democratic Party has a lot of "not in the spotlight" potential candidates out there, you can also look in the Sioux Falls area for active folks. Did a pretty good job of not giving you any names. Heck, they may run against me and I don't want to give them any name id.

4. Who would you like to see run for office that's currently in the private sector?

Bob Sutton-R
Mike Wilson-D

5. Speaking of races, this last election, what was Alan Aker's fatal flaw? What happened to make you the winner in that election?

I would not look at it in terms of fatal flaws. I was able to put together what turned out to be a pretty good campaign. What happened is I received more votes.

6. Are we going to see a Democratic Governor in the next 25 years?

I am a firm believer in cycles. Has not looked good recently but I have a few thoughts on the subject. For the last elections that have included Bill Janklow I think you need to throw those out. South Dakota has a unique relationship with Governor Janklow. With that being said, if one looks back to a race without him you end up with the Mickelson-Herseth race. If memory serves me correct, it was close.

7. There's been an awful lot of prime pheasant land being bought or traded for by your office. Have you been getting any static over that? I know some people on my side of the aisle who have a problem with that government ownership of land thing.

Government ownership of land is always a hot button issue, so yes some static, but lots of support. My office works close with the Rounds administration on many issues and this is certainly one of them.

8. Past or present, who is the politician you look to for the most inspiration?

Good question. I don't know if i would say I look for inspiration from any but here are some of my state favorites. Craig Schanuaman, Bernie Hunhoff, both great leaders of respective houses. Dick Kneip, had a vision, was able to implement most, made Pierre and South Dakota better, truly loved people.

9. I hear that Jarrod R. Johnson, who almost squeaked out a win in the House District 10 primary last year has your office in his sights. He is also starting to make the rounds to Republican events as a School and Lands potential candidate. Any buzz on him as a potential challenger?

And here I thought I was going to get a free ride. Your side of the aisle should not be so greedy, let one Democrat hang around, just for balance if nothing else. Mr. Johnson is a good candidate. I've known him for years, have enjoyed a beer with him, overall good person. That being said, It does not make him the right person for the job because that person is the current Commissioner. I would challenge anyone on my record.

10. When you took the tour of the new Governor's residence, you looked like you could live there. Where are you going after your School and Lands days are done? Are you planning on staying in politics?

Home is too small for me, I would have to add on or start over. I mean really, the garage won't hold half of my current toys, so when the time comes that I will be living there just think how much "stuff" I could accumulate.
Clearly, Bryce and State Auditor Rich Sattgast need to form their own comedy team.

Excellent information from someone on the other side of the aisle. Sounds like we need to keep an eye on the Democrats already in the legislature who are itching to move up. And Bryce is thinking the Dems can pull one out after an incredibly long gubernatorial drought.

Well, I'm up to 3 SD War College t-shirts that I owe, so I might actually get around to printing them this weekend. Until the next 10 questions, thanks Bryce!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corson County information on Klaudt Rape Charges

A note from Benedict Ar... Sorry. A note from Stan Adelstein why he thinks you should vote Democrat this year.

It's about health, not potential promiscuity.