Since the old one fizzled, A New Contest
SD War College Idol (or candidate)

A couple weeks back I tried to start a contest. Which went nowhere, because nobody entered. So, I'm starting a new one to use some of my evening time.

Why am I trying to occupy my time? I think it could be a symptom of being in Pierre, while the rest of the family is in Brookings. It is really the pits, and I miss yelling at my kids to quit fighting with each other. Actually, I miss them and my better half terribly.

As of yesterday, I dodged having to deal with the GOP bylaw change for a while. And it also looks like I'm off the hook on another city referral at the moment. So, how can I exercise my skills?

I was faced with a quandry, and then I re-read my hot/not post from last night, and I struck on a really novel idea. And I smiled a gleeful, but mischevous smile.

As you can probably tell, I really don't care for Larry Weiss as a city commissioner. I'm sure he's personally a decent person, but as a city commissioner, I think he's terrible. During this years' city ordinance referral, he pulled a couple things I didn't care for. That, and he makes the Pierre City Commission meetings akin to chinese water torture.

We've all suffered through politicians like him. The ones who talk because of an apparent fondness for their own voice. Where after fifteen minutes you look at your writing instrument, and wonder if ritual suicide is possible with a #2 pencil, or if a ball point pen might work. That, and he voted to raise fees and taxes without even considering budget cuts.

It's probably just me, but I get a vibe coming from him that because the city came up with it, us little people should just accept it. Sounds to me like it's time for someone else who can be responsive to the needs of the taxpayers.

Since I'm moving to Brookings at some point, I'm not going to run against him myself. That, and the fact that I don't want to be on the city commission might be a factor as well.

So, how can we put our best foot forward in running aginst an incumbent city commissioner who needs to go? Well, you find the best candidate you can. They should have a certain set of skills, a network of supporters (or the ability to form one) and a willingness to do what it takes to win.

Here's the deal (the contest):

If I can get three or four people to e-mail me and express an interest, I'm going to propose a contest. But the prize isn't a t-shirt or anything like that. The prize would be... Me. Or at least my advice and services. If I can get three or four people to e-mail me and be serious about it, I'll give weekly assignments applicable to the race to the contestants for several weeks. I'll have the results be judged by a group of "celebrity South Dakota political panelists." And the winner will get my assistance in running against Pierre City Commissioner Larry Weiss.

If you lose, you can certainly still run, but you're on your own. Win, and you'll have won my helping hand.

Of course, you have to live in Pierre. But otherwise, I'll write a campaign plan for you. I'll help you with your message and advertising. We'll work together to determine your media needs. We'll hit the fundraising trail. In other words, I'll help you run a campaign. Even though the election is next spring, we need to get planning this fall. So this is perfect timing. E-mail me, and tell me why you would be a good candidate. Why "you" should be Pierre's next City Commissioner.

Know someone who would be a good candidate in Pierre or have a friend who is looking for their political start? Forward this to them, and have them e-mail me at red_touch@yahoo.com and we'll get this election party started.

I need at least three people to make this a go, so don't hesitate. If you are at all interested in considering it, drop me a note and we can talk. All inquiries will be considered confidential until you pull the trigger and say "yes."

Or this whole contest attempt may lamely fizzle out. But who knows. You can't tell until you try. So come on local readers - give it a shot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corson County information on Klaudt Rape Charges

A note from Benedict Ar... Sorry. A note from Stan Adelstein why he thinks you should vote Democrat this year.

Kranz: Dusty Johnson to jump into US House Race? Possibly......